Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Grand Dads Tooth


I have fond memories of my Grand Dad. He was a man of few words but he always had a twinkle in his eye like he was thinking something mischievous. I remember him for always being there in his big old chair and smiling so big even though he didn’t have a single tooth in his head!
I saw this man yesterday and he had an unusual request. He wanted me to remove his bicuspid tooth and then give it to him. Asking for the tooth was not so unusual, several do that. What was unusual was what he wanted to do with it. He wanted to make a necklace with it for his grandson!
I asked the crew at lunch if they had ever heard of this before. Three of them said that they worn necklaces of there grand dads tooth as a child. They said it was to give them protection from spirits and other bad ancestors.
I’ve got some bad ancestors I’m sure but I do not fear them because they are in the grave and won’t be coming out until the Lord comes again. Reincarnation, however, is widely believed in Cambodia and people fear there ancestors and regularly sacrifice to them and pay different sorts of tribute to them. I hope to convince many to fear only God who has the power to punish and reward all people. Rick

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a nasty little imperialist you are! does your mind live in 1850s sub-Saharan Africa? you ought to respect differences and to not meddle in things that you don't understand. it is despicable that you feel it to be your "God"-given mission to destroy the ancient, complicated, and infinitely more practical cultural traditions of any group of people! individuals like you have been and will be the downfall of humanity's once-joyful depth and complexity.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home