Saturday, May 06, 2006

One More Blessing

Many of you have heard me on occasion rant about the evils of television. I have often gone through periods of my life when I have felt TV to be the chief tool of Satan to deceive us and take us away from the “better things” of life. I am happy that we have little in the way of compelling TV to interest us while here in Cambodia.
For me this is just fine. It gives me more time to do my favorite thing, read. I have found great joy in the last few years reading good books about good people. I have recently finished reading the story of Martin Luther’s life. I do not agree with much of his theology but I cannot help but admire the man for confronting the corrupt church environment of his day. I found him almost comical when he decided to be married at the age of forty two. As a monk, he had taken the vows of celibacy early in life only to completely disavow the stance later in life. He said that he decided to marry to “please his father, tease the pope, and spite the devil!” Martin Luther did more than anyone in history to advance the biblical concept of “the priesthood of all believers”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home