Tuesday, May 02, 2006

In His Steps


I am reading a book entitled “In His Steps” by a Charles Sheldon. The characters in the book have resolved to conduct their life according to the precepts of Christ by asking the question, ‘What would Jesus do?”. They commit to applying Christ’s behavior to their own lives for one year regardless of the consequences. The characters include the minister who presents the challenge, a newspaper editor, heiress, and executive and several others. Of course the story is fiction, but the message is challenging. Even as Christians why do we let society, friends, the status quo dictate the majority of our decisions? It is a scary thought to think if I really let that question be asked in every aspect of my life, would I be able to accept what Jesus would do. Many have expressed encouraging words about Rick and me leaving home to work in Cambodia. But I have to say it is far more difficult to really contemplate that question in my life living in the states with wealth and little personal sacrifice. I was humbled this week to be able to hand out bread and milk to some village children. It wasn’t much but they seemed to enjoy it. I wanted to grab a couple of the little ones to hug, but this culture does not touch much even between family. I bent down close to one little cutie and he started crying! So as much as you can, hug your children, wife, husband or friend. That is one thing I think Jesus would do. Gail

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home