Thursday, April 20, 2006

Mekong Delta


I have only foggy memories of the Vietnam War and most of them are of nightly newscast and the commentator often mentioning the “Mekong Delta”. In what little reading I have done while here, we must have really gotten bogged down in the Mekong Delta region.
An ex brother-in-law of mine never quite got over his Vietnam tour of duty. He rarely spoke of it and I understand that it was quite painful for him to recall the experience. When I told Jarrell Gibbs, a fellow elder of mine at the time, about our future plans to live on the Mekong River, his reaction was interesting. He became very serious and told me about his time there and how he had “lobbed” many mortars across the borders.
While we were on this tour of the Delta, we traveled by small boats paddled by Vietnamese through narrow winding channels of water that seemed to be a maze to nowhere. The canopy overhead totally blocked out the sun and it was eerie! I could only imagine walking thru these small streams with an M16 over your head and looking for the enemy! I’m thankful to those who served in such an inhospitable place during such an intolerable war for the sake of me and my country. Thank you Jarrell and Mike and all you others who served so courageously for your home land and my future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home