Monday, April 17, 2006

Happy Birthday in Vietnam



Gail and I spent last weekend in Vietnam to visit the boat and enjoy a little R&R. Everyone was on vacation for the Khmer New Year so we took off for a few days. Gail’s big day was on the 13th and mine the 15th. We sang happy birthday to her in an Italian restaurant. We were treated by those “Amazing Ladies” I told you about earlier. On my big day, we went on a Mekong Delta trip and I was serenaded by our tour group made up of Chinese, Vietnamese, Italians, New Zealanders, and who knows how many other nationalities! They sang loud and the unusual blend of voices carried far and wide over the Mekong River and delta!
When we arrived back in Phnom Penh, Bill and Marie Claire had two birthday cakes and a nice party for us also. Sunday night, Cheryl and Nathan Wheeler called us and sang to us in the Cambodian language they have learned so well. So, we have really celebrated this year and felt much loved. Thanks to all of you who have sent cards and e-mails. Several of you insist on my age being 50 despite my trying to explain to you the Khmer way. I think you are all having a little culture shock. Don’t you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home