Friday, May 05, 2006

Dental Meeting

I was invited to a dental meeting today at a local hotel. As in the US, the hotel was real nice and very comfortable. The topics of discussion were cosmetic dentistry and root canal therapy. They were informative lectures, but something just didn't feel right. Maybe it was because 99% of Cambodians lack the basic needs of life!
Last week while in the rural area I met a little boy with some sort of mandibular tumor. I asked his mom if she could bring him to Phnom Penh for treatment. She looked like I had asked her to take him to the moon! She had never been so far from home (25 miles) and couldn't fathom doing so. In Cambodia children who get sick either get better on their own, or they die. What a hard life it must be for mothers here. I can't imagine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home