Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Operation Smile


Several times a year an International organization called Operation Smile comes to Cambodia. This group of surgeons operate on hundreds of people, mainly kids with cleft palates and lips. As we move up and down the river, I look for kiddos who need this life changing surgery.
Yesterday, I referred a one year old to go to Phnom Penh for a consultation and evaluation. Last year I saw a 47 year old man have the surgery done and had tears in my eyes as I thought how he must have felt shame and embarrassment around others with “normal” lips.
Yesterday I saw a man with a total cleft who was 73 years old. He had lived with his defect for so long I did not tell him about the surgery. Not sure if I was right or not. rick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home