Thursday, October 11, 2007

Another Good Book

I am currently reading a book written by Steve Ambrose named To America: Personal Reflections of a Historian. In the book, he writes many things about previous wars and events and the people who were in them, of course. He wrote something about the common soldier during the Civil War that I found very interesting. He said “The common soldier cared primarily about “personal and family matters”. He wanted to hear gossip from home, how the crops were doing, what is sister Sue up to, and so on. He told how more soldiers died from sickness than bullets, so personal health was very important. He concluded by saying “The weather and the incoming mail, or lack there of, were always subjects of the greatest importance!”
When I read those words, it struck me how much I feel the same here. Gossip from home, how sister Judy is doing, how Mom’s crops (flower bed) is doing, the weather, and incoming mail of any and all kinds are what we enjoy most while away. Steven Ambrose is a wonderful historian and I recommend him highly, especially to my friends Gabe and Brittany who read so well! rick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home