Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Interesting Lunches



Darith is our wonderful cook who keeps us well fed on the ship. We go over the meals for the week, but I pretty well let him make dishes he knows the crew will like. The local vegetables are also a factor in what he prepares. This past week he created two dishes that were knew to the menu. He made a soup that included bamboo. Now I know that bamboo is used in a lot of ways, but I didn’t know we could eat it too! In the picture, he has let the bamboo soften before he adds it too the soup mix. I’m sure there are varieties of bamboo, so maybe you have to know the correct type to cook! Well, both Rick and I tasted it, but we decided we had enough fiber for the day. The other dish was a soup with mashed fish as main ingredient. I don’t mean alittle mashed, I mean like mashed potatoes. Needless to say we avoided this dish altogether. I guess it could have been delicious. What was more interesting is what accompanied the fish soup. The other picture looks like flowers on a plate with raw eggplant. Well, that is what it is…a flower they call Morning Glory. Most of the time when they eat vegetables with soup, the vegetables are not cooked much. Even the green beans are slightly heated. It definitely is healthier! gail

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home