Monday, October 09, 2006

Romeo and Juliet

This week one of the young men here told me a heartbreaking story. He told me of his love for a young lady he had gone to school and fell in love with. She, like he, had graduated with a degree in accounting last year. She, unlike He, was able to find a place of employment.
He told me that his girlfriend’s parents had found her someone else to marry. Although they both are very much in love, her parents have the final say and have chosen a policeman, from a family they know, to be her husband. He is devastated. There is, however, nothing he can do.
Another student, recognizing a former teacher across the classroom this week, told him some good news. “My Father has bought me a wife!” The teacher asked how much. He said her parents wanted $2000 but he talked them down to $1000! Such is the nature of this strange culture that is so hard to wrap our arms around.
Many of the “arranged” marriages end in failure. This is so sad. I hope my friend does not despair to the level of Romeo. I will try to encourage him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home