Friday, September 29, 2006

Recommended Reading

I have recently finished reading a book I would recommend to almost anyone I know, especially those over the age of 35. “The World Is Flat”, by Thomas L. Friedman is an excellent read for anyone who is not really sure just what people mean when they talk about “globalization”.

After reading the book I wrote to both of my children to recommend it to them. It is about how drastically the world has changed in the last 15 years. The author explains how the fall of the Iron Curtain on 11/9/89 and the events of 9/11/01 have changed the world forever. He says that those who fear the global changes, and especially the outsourcing of jobs to other continents, should rather see the changes as a great opportunity instead. As several billion new people enter the middle class, we will be able to provide them with many services and high tech items that only our great country can produce. Those who are aware of the changes will be in the right position to take advantage of them. Those who will not or cannot see the changes will slowly fade out of the picture.

I told Britt and Greg that I must have been asleep when the change happened! I hope their professors and teachers have been telling them how the world is now flat but if not, read this book!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home