Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Blind Man - The Rest of the Story


Several months ago I wrote about a blind man I had seen on the side of the road. That is not too unusual, but what I was told about him was. He is not only blind, but he supports a wife and several children by climbing sugar palm trees and collecting the oil from them! I wanted to see meet him and find out his story but for several reasons it did not happen.
Yesterday I stopped close to where I had seen him before and asked about him. Two ladies told me he lived close by. When Pisay and I went to his house, we met his wife and several children and grandchildren. When I asked to meet him, you probably guessed it, he was out working! This time his wife told me he was planting rice in the nearby field. She told me that he had lost his sight in a landmine accident in 1981. I asked her why he worked and did not beg and she said, “He is too shy!” I think there is more to it than that so we set off to find him.
When I first saw him, he was pulling up rice to be replanted farther apart in the field. He graciously came over to talk with us, and I told him how much I admired him for doing so well despite his disability. He said it was nothing and shrugged it off. I told him that I was in Cambodia because God’s Son, Jesus, was my Savior and that he had lived on earth many years ago and had healed many blind men. I told him that I could not heal him, but that I would like to tell him about Jesus. He responded that he had never heard of this Jesus and he was not sure if he was interested but that he would like to hear more about him. He invited me back to tell him more after the rice planting rush.
I am excited about going back next month and telling him about the Great Physician. This is going to be a great experience I think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home