Monday, February 27, 2006

What a amazing last five days we have had. I anticipated a relatively mundane departure based on the fact that most of our clothes and essentials are back in Cambodia and that we could travel "lite"! Boy did I miscalculate this one.
It all began five days ago when I decided to check on some earlier grant request I had written and long ago assumed were dead. I had not heard from either of the two dental organizations I had requested help from and figured I was just a poor grant writter. To my great surprise, both of the organizations immediately responded with help! One had been trying to reach me for the last two months and felt our project was deserving. They had earlier granted our request for two full dental operatories of equipment. That may not sound like much but can you say 50K!!!!! The other group simply asked what we needed and when! I was so stunned I didn't know what to ask for. I requested that they help us with surgical instruments as they are very expensive but will last forever. I am waiting for a reply but feel relatively sure the answer will be yes. I guess I need to stop praying for God's help without believing He will provide! In His time! My faith at times is so weak and I pray for more each day. I have spent the last five days scrambling to provide purchase orders and lining up people to bring things to us when they come in.
We ended up bringing the maximum bags and were over the weight on one bag, requiring the ole $25 penalty. Felt just like a traffic stop in Phnom Penh! Even though the website said we could have 70 lbs per bag, we were strongly told it was 50 lbs!
There seemed like so many little nagging things over the last few days but the bottom line is we are in Los Angeles as I write this, and are preparing to return to Cambodia tonight! Boy does that sound good because this project has been my dream for many years. Thank you God for hearing our prayers and granting them in you due time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gail and Dr. N,
I hope this finds you having arrived safely back in Cambodia. I look forward to hearing about your adventures upon "the boat". Take care and know that we are home praying for your safety and thinking about you.
Kristi G.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home