Thursday, February 02, 2006

Letter of Love

As you can imagine this past month has been an emotional roller coaster. With many calls and cards of sympathy, we have all been touched by Dad’s life on others. But I do want to share one I just recently received from some very dear people. Buddy and Jo Childers lived in the Village until they decided to be missionaries. They haven’t left the United States but are Sojourners for Christ. This is a wonderful way for “retirees” to serve the Lord in their RV’s. Jo is very talented in writing and has written poems for many occasions. She did indeed write a beautiful one in memory of Dad, but that is not what I am going to share. I want to take some excerpts from the letter that she wrote because it is written as if from my heart also. She just says it better. Thanks Jo and Buddy for your love.

Dearest Gail, Rick, Brittany and Greg,
From experience I have learned when death takes away one so very dear to us, the reality comes intermittently over a long period of time. This has been for me, and I pray will be for you, a great blessing. Bro. Jim spent every waking minute making memories, making a difference, doing something worthwhile and for those of us who were near him, these memories won’t go away. I know you’ll find yourself turning to see if he’s in his pew at church or listening for his greeting to everyone he met. His voice singing praises in that big empty church building will be a void no one can fill. His leadership in the mission field has so many great memories, singing, preaching, teaching, walking, eating strange food, and laughing. The plane rides with his eye covers on when he was probably praying and not sleeping. The knocks on my back door – “Anybody home?” still ringing as he walked right in, the most welcomed quest we ever had. The boys he loved in Timothy class – the games he played. His constant attitude of prayer and thanksgiving, never taking credit for anything – to God be the glory – always his reply. I have to say Bro. Jim is still in HSV to me- he’s in Africa – on a bus, a plane – he’s in Guyana. Maybe he’s in Missouri or gone to the Inn for a swim in the pool. He’s visiting, teaching, looking for the lost. To me he is not far away. Realty has always been difficult for me and I’ve played these games in my mind with my family so far away for years- when the grief is overwhelming, I pray you can find this escape- it’s a faith and knowing we’ll all be together singing Majesty and it will be real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home