Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving Memories

I am realizing for the first time how much Thanksgiving Day means to me. The famous American holiday has arrived and we have had a wonderful lunch together of rice and pork and fruits of many kinds. It was wonderful and very tasty but several things were missing.

First of all, we are not at one of our families homes. Every year, without exception, we go to either my Mothers home or to one of Gail’s families. My children are asleep at my mom’s house in east Texas as I write this. They will get up tomorrow morning, very early for them, when “MeeMaw” calls them for breakfast. She will serve them, along with my sister Brenda and her husband Jim, her famous homemade biscuits with ribbon cane syrup. Makes me want to cry just to think about those biscuits! Greg, I hope you are really enjoying them enough for both of us. Everyone will set around digesting their biscuits as fast as possible, so they will be ready for the real feast at about 1:00 PM. While they are waiting they will be telling the same old war stories of years and surgical scars gone by. Boy will I miss the stories! They seem to change ever so slightly but just enough to keep you listening! Then the great-grandkids will begin to filter in and they will goo-goo and ga-ga away everyone’s attention. Ha Ha. Then comes the feast! I’m not sure who will lead the prayer. Maybe Jim, maybe Greg my son, but someone will bless the food and the occasion. Turkey, black-eyed peas, jell-o salad, great big rolls, Mom’s dressing of course, 3 bean salad, cranberry sauce, ham, potato salad, lettuce salad, will all be there with some I have missed. Dessert will be chocolate cake, chocolate pie, pee-can pie, pumpkin pie, blackberry pie, apple cake, assorted cookies, and cool-whip for everything! Boy….I’m sweatin’ just writin’ this. Being away is real persecution don’t you think?

We will have a Thanksgiving meal together this Saturday. Everyone is busy on Thursday! We will feed 18 Americans, one Cambodian, and one Romanian! We are having a 17 lb. turkey, pumpkin pie, and cranberry sauce! Maybe the word persecution was a bit strong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home