Sunday, November 20, 2005

Sunday's Highs and Lows

Yesterday, Sunday here, was a beautiful morning with a touch of coolness in the air. We always go to the early service at church. That is because they only have one service and it is "early"! As I mentioned earlier, I was given the privilege of presenting the morning sermon and my topic was "A Walk Of Faith". I talked about how God must have walked in the cool of the morning with Adam and Eve on a regular basis and how wonderful that must have been. We shared how God loved Enoch so much that he took him with Him! He loved him so much because Enoch "Walked with Him". I then went on to say that a walk with God was a walk of faith. I used Hebrews Chapter 11 to define faith and show examples of it. I concluded that even though these were tremendous examples, they were not perfect and we didn’t have to be either. All we must do is "walk in the light" as God is the light. All teaching here is fundamental in nature as most Christians are new babes in Christ.

On the way home, I had my first run-in with the local police. I had been told that they will wave you over at times and extort money from you because you are a foreigner. Well, I guess they saw the whites of my eyes! The officer began to explain to me in Khmer what I had done wrong which I could not understand a word of. He than began to speak to a Cambodian lady with us and told her he needed $20 US to let me have my license back and let us go. We had 13 people in the van so I slipped the twenty in his envelope, out of sight of course, and he let us go. He said that I had run a red light, but the Brother beside me said there was no way! If I had been alone, I would have just sat there and looked confused and after awhile I am told they will let you go. We’ll see about that next time. This country is based upon bribes. Everyone takes them from the Prime Minister on down! I have mixed feelings about paying bribes. Is it morally wrong or is this the way people get paid here? I’m not sure, but I think it is a mixture of the two.

They say the cool season is coming. I sure hope so! A touch of coolness in the air means at 7:00 AM the temp is 78 degrees instead of 85! I hope you are enjoying the cool fall temps back in the states.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home