Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Gail's Perspective

It was a pleasant trip to Ho Chi Minh City. The difference in cultures is amazing. Vietnam is certainly more advanced and developed compared to Phnom Penh. I know Rick mentioned our service in the hotel room in the previous writing. During our service, I couldn’t help think about all the bickering and complaining church families go through while there are Christians persecuted for their faith. I’m sure from time to time our thoughts will be negative, and I am sorry for that. It is only when you travel outside the US that you see how truly we are blessed as a nation.

As Rick mentioned, the boat looks like a house that is in the sheetrock stage. The finishing touches are the time consuming details that need to be answered. Bill is returning to Vietnam Tuesday to take care of many of those. I am thankful for Tom Tune who is living in the city and overseeing the construction. He says that he has never seen such precision and quality of construction. I am thankful for that, and that he is watching all that is going on! We will try to attach pictures.

As far as my emotional state, (ha,ha) still pretty good. However, I thought I would share some things I am tired of, but keeping a positive attitude about. First has to be the oppressive heat and humidity. Deodorant is definitely put to the test. Endless traffic and city noise, dogs barking (which may be good since in Vietnam they eat dogs which we saw hanging in the markets); certain smells…..not good; standing out in a crowd, not only in height, but width; brushing teeth with bottled water; always feeling dusty, wait, actually you are! O.K. it’s only fair that I state some positive things such as buying a Polo shirt at the market for $3.00 (even though it was marked XXXL), fresh fruit that is bursting with flavor, Clinque products for half the price, seeing a happy people that live so simply and knowing God loves them, too. I hope you know I was trying to be humorous, and yet humble to admit my selfish wants. Things are not so unpleasant. We have air-con in our room, hot water in the shower, and people who care about us in our hearts. Thanks for your prayers!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gail, this is Jim...you mean you are tall in Cambodia? I enjoy reading your articles.

Take care.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home