Tuesday, October 25, 2005

A First

Everyday is a new experience here in Cambodia. This day has been no different than any of our previous six days. Gail rode a tuk-tuk to school at seven o'clock am. The tuk-tuk is a motorcycle with a small carriage behind it that will carry up to 6 people at a time. It takes about twenty minutes for her to go across town for her two hour course each morning. She then rides another twenty minutes to get home. So far so good! I am so proud of her. She can already communicate quite well with people on a basic level and everyone says she is progressing very well. I, on the other hand, can only count to ten!

I told you earlier that I had gotten my drivers license. Well today I drove for the first time solo. The traffic is like nothing you have ever seem before! The cars do not stay in their own lanes as in the US. They merge into each others lanes at various times and it is difficult to have another car just come straight at you! I have been told to not pay any attention to motorcycles. Just dodge the other cars and trucks. I will try again tomorrow.

This weekend we will travel to Vietnam to see the progress on the boat. Gail will get to see her new home away from home for the first time! She really is a trooper. I thank God every day for her courage and strength. Continue to pray for us as we do for you back home daily. God bless you all. Rick

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rick and Gail....it's Emma, Judy's daughter. My mom sent me an email from ya'll and your blog site so I checked it out and it's VERY interesting. I will be checking it daily to keep up with this amazing new adventure that ya'll have undertaken. We are praying for you and hoping that all things continue to go smoothly. Good luck with the language thing....there is nothing easy about that! Can't wait to read your next entry!
love, emma montandon

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking to see if this works

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Rick and Gail,
I just received my latest email from Jim G. and he attached the link to your blog. I am so glad that I have had the opportunity to catch up on your wonderful works and new experiences. This will be a great thing that the boys and I can share with you through the marvel of "the internet". I will forever be greatful for all of the advice and heartfelt prayers your family has extended to mine over the years that we have known each other in the Village. Our new lives here in Florida are shaping up nicely for us all and it's a blessing to be so close to mom and dad. I am very excited to keep hearing about all of the wonderful things you will be doing and how blessed you will make all those around you feel. Our prayers and love are with you always, Tara Tate and the boys

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rick,
I rented a small motorcycle when i was in veitnam, and thought that is was quite fun. I would recomend that you step on the gas and do not have road rage!! Have you noticed that they never get mad at each other even when some idiot cuts them off. I don"t know if i would be that nice. Be cool. hop and nance

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home