Friday, October 21, 2005

School daze...

Rick and I decided to try to exercise every morning, and so far we are two for two. Of course, our small accomplishment to due to the fact that we are not quite over time difference and are waking up at 5:00 am. So we might as well walk. It definitely is cooler and it is interesting to see the life of the people as they start their day.

Today I went to the beginner Khmer class at the Institute of Language. This class session had started October 5, so the teacher said to come and see if I could understand what was going on. Then I could decide to stay, or start with next session class. My eight weeks in Madison must have stuck with me because I am going to stay. I will get up every morning and attend class from 7:30 until 9:30, Monday through Friday. I was the only American in this particular class. It was interesting listening to Korean, Chinese, French and Australian students learning Khmer through English. The accents were fun to listen to! The teacher is Khmer and very kind. He would say something that really wasn’t correct about the English grammar, and the teacher in me wanted to correct him, but I didn’t!

We had dinner last night with a young couple that dedicated five years here in Phnom Penh to work for the Lord. Their names are Nathan and Cheryl Wheeler. What an encouragement they are to see their love for the people. They have been here thirteen months and concentrating on their language skills. They have a church meeting in their home on Sunday evening across town from where the church of Christ building is located. They hope to reach that side of town and hopefully attract young working people. We see their commitment to Christ at such a young age and think of Carlos and Maribel and their commitment to Christ. It is humbling to see both couples’ love for the Lord.

Rick purchased his Cambodian drivers license today. That is pretty much all it takes..money! Not sure if he will drive anytime soon. The traffic pattern is very interesting here. The traffic rules are varied and not many follow them anyway. It is just a slow merge and respect for cars, motos, cyclos, and pedestrians. You have to see it to believe it! Perhaps we can attach a short video clip to this blog. Another day has passed and I haven’t cracked up with emotion. All the prayers must be heard. Thanks!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well this is my first blog to read or reply to, so I am having some first also! Good to hear of your adventure and praying you stay safe. I meant to tell you that Brit or Greg are welcome in our home anytime if they come down this way but I am sure I would have to fight MeeNaw off! Take care, Judy

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick,
The dental system is got to be interesting. I hope you get to work in the dental school. I would like to hear from you what you see. Gail, i justed wanted you to know that i just finished my morning diet pepsi with lots of ice!! Roger

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home