Friday, October 31, 2008

A Day of Tears and Laughter

Today was one of those days where emotions ranged from low to high. Last night Rick and Piseth decided to go out at 3:00 in the morning to hand out numbers. For the last few nights people were lining up by then to try and get a number. Last night, after my lesson with Sokha that ended at 8:00, I looked out and there were already people camping out in line since they knew today the ship would move. It was so heartbreaking. But those are the people most in need who are willing to do that. Robert and Jeanie went into the city to check out supplies for dry dock so I was in triage by myself; I almost starting crying as I was taking blood pressures. I got a bit overwhelmed at all their needs.
But then Troy, Tabitha and the gang showed up in three vehicles carrying around 15 volunteers to conduct a health fair. Bora, Sovann, and Chamroun from the nutrition program arrived along with church members from the group that meets at the PIP house. Troy and Tabitha started this project in the villages where the nutrition trucks travel. They suggested about their coming to where the ship was docked and we quickly agreed how great that would be. So today they set up four booths where kids of all ages could play games and learn about health issues in a fun way. They had a skit and even a cooking show about healthy eating! My spirit was lifted to see the Khmer Christians wanting to help and work together for this wonderful effort. It was a positive experience for our crew also. gail

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

It is so encouraging to hear stories like this! It wasn't always that way, but the Christians there have grown so much, and what an asset Troy and Tabitha are it sounds like. I remember when I was there I would often think about the Gospel of John-how Jesus met one individual at a time and spoke to him (Nicodemas) or healed him (the blind man). I would think that like a mantra sometimes, one person at a time, one person at a time, because it can be so overwhelming. I felt that strongly in Africa this summer picking up our daughter looking at the hundreds of orphan faces, but knowing we can only adopt one at a time, and what a blessing she is! :) God Bless your work!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home