Friday, April 20, 2007

Dental Stuff

My old staff will be entertained with this one! I now see about 25 patients per day with the help of one assistant. We mostly do extractions but I do several root canals and fillings also. This week several 3oish year old women came in with loose, perio involved front teeth desperate for some help. Well this is where it got interesting. I got out some scalers, I don't know any of the #'s or even how to use them really, and started going after 30 years of black calculus! The first lady was pretty good. It popped off pretty easy. But not the second one. The only way to remove the calculus was to remove the cementum under it! I finished thinking I should have paid my hygienist more for digging on that stuff all day. I have got to get an ultrasonic scaler of some kind or my hand will not survive!
At the end of each morning I go to sterilization and scrub all of the instruments and put them in the autoclave and then sort them after lunch and place them back in their rightful place and start over. My assistant doesn't know enough to do this yet but he is learning more each day. He has to translate everything for me but about 10 words I know so it is a challenge to just communicate. Boy am I having fun!
Dane Welch, send me your e-mail address. I cannot see yours when you answer or write about a blog. Thanks for reading.

2 Comments:

Blogger emma said...

Although I don't
speak "dentistesse" it sounds kind of gross and like hard work! Way to go!

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this is trianing for your next career as a hygienist! I bet you never thought till now you didn't pay your hygienist enough. My email address is dwdds@amaonline.com
It would be great to catch up on what's been going on the last 26 years.

Dane

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home