Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Interesting Visitor


Meet Ivan. I was working in the kitchen and I heard some English being spoken with an accent I didn’t recognize. Our night guard’s English is about as good as my Khmer so I knew this person was having no luck talking to Sokun. I went outside and there was a foreigner in a rowing boat. He was wanting to know if the local market was still open and if there was a beach that he could sleep on. It was about 6:30 in the evening, so I knew the markets we closed, and the only “beach” was across the river where the fishing villagers lived. I asked him where he was from and where he was going. Turns out he had started his Mekong River trip from China, down through Laos and into Cambodia. His destination, Vietnam and the ocean! He lives in Spain and the manufacturer of his rowing boat was sponsoring this trip. He had been on the river for three months. He looked like it, too! I invited him on ship to eat some decent food. Rick came down and invited him to sleep and shower and have a good rest. He was a little hesitate to intrude on us, but the next morning he looked 100% better. He had a head cold, so Sarah Kate gave him some medicine. Then he rowed on down the river toward Phnom Penh. We don’t know where he is now, but hope he made it to his final destination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home