Saturday, October 27, 2007

Dental Stuff


My son says I use too much dental jargon in the blog. He says most don’t have a “clue” what I am talking about. Well Greg, I will try to do better but I have an obligation to the few dental professionals who read our blog to show some interesting things.
Today I saw something I have never seen before. A maxillary cuspid, upper eye tooth, Greg, laying completely on its side! I see, and remove, many partial roots that are laying sideways and have a perio, gum, Greg, attachment only on one lateral surface. I’ve seen this at home several times. This 60 year old man came in with this unusual presentation. The only thing I can figure is that it was horizontally, sideways, Greg, impacted and when the other teeth were lost, it slowly floated to the surface. There could have been a large infection that uncovered it also but that is only speculation. Have any of you seen anything like this before? Sorry about the fuzzy picture.
The other interesting thing was that the root had a 45 degree curve in the apical one fifth. It was like the tooth was trying to “dig” back into the bone for a better footing. I thought it was pretty cool! Sorry Greg.

2 Comments:

Blogger emma said...

Don't worry about it Rick, the picture is worth a thousand words (dental jargon or not!) That makes me very appreciative for the dental checkups every 6 months that my parents so dutifully took me to. I can't imagine what it looked like in person.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sick. and to think, Dad, that you actually chose your profession. heres some jargon for ya, "why dont you use the elevator to loosen the periodontal ligament and then remove the tooth with the bullhorns?" HA, and you thought i wasnt paying attention in Guyana.

Greg

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home